Monday, April 11, 2011

Recipe Monday: Kettle Corn

Kettle Corn is one of my favorite “game day” snacks.  This salty and sweet snack goes great with baseball and soccer season.  It’s a great snack for kids and adults alike.  I tried this recipe out because I love buying kettle corn when we go see the Sounders play.  For those who aren’t from Seattle the Sounders are Seattle’s awesome Major League Soccer Team!  We are season ticket holders and have been since the first season.  We just started the third season.  It’s great to go to games however it’s not so great paying stadium prices for food and drinks.  Even though you can’t bring beer in to the stadium you can bring bottled beverages (still sealed) and food.  I decided to try out this kettle corn recipe since I’m always buying it at the stadium at $5 per bag.  After purchasing all the ingredients for this recipe I spent about $5 and can make kettle corn for each home game plus some!  I just saved a ton of money.  Here is the recipe if you are interested in making your own game day snack.

Prep Time: 5 minutes  |  Cook Time: 15 minutes | Yields about 5 servings

Ingredients
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil
  • 1/4 cup white sugar
  • 1/2 cup unpopped popcorn kernels
    Directions

    Heat the vegetable oil in a large pot over medium heat. Once hot, stir in the sugar and popcorn. Cover, and shake the pot constantly to keep the sugar from burning. Once the popping has slowed to once every 2 to 3 seconds, remove the pot from the heat and continue to shake for a few minutes until the popping has stopped. Pour into a large bowl, and allow to cool, stirring occasionally to break up large clumps.

    *Note:  I like to add some sea salt to my popcorn once finished.  After the popcorn cools down fill a bag full and pack it up to take to the game. 

    For a direct link to this recipe click HERE.

    2 comments:

    XOXO Dr. Kay Elizabeth said...

    I never knew that was how you made it. I've heard about people putting cheese on their popcorn. I prefer just some good ole hot sauce. Thank you for the recipe. medschooldream.blogspot.com

    boweiz said...
    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.