Thursday, March 19, 2009

~Flax Banana Bread Recipe~

Ever get tired of making the same banana bread recipe?  I had 2 lonely bananas that were getting a little too ripe on my counter.  I didn’t want to use my typical banana bread recipe so I went searching on Prevention Magazine’s website (www.prevention.com) and found this flax banana bread recipe.  Not only is this a healthy recipe but it tastes delicious too!  Next time I make this I will be adding walnuts.  Also instead of making bread I used this recipe to make muffins, still bake at 350°F but lowered the baking time to 20 minutes.  

Ingredients

Directions

1.  Preheat the oven to 350°F. Coat a nonstick 8- x 4-inch loaf pan with cooking spray.

2.  In a large bowl, combine the sugar, buttermilk, egg substitute, and oil. Whisk until smooth.

3.  In a medium bowl, combine the all-purpose flour, whole-wheat flour, flaxseed, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Whisk to mix.

4.  Add to the liquid ingredients, and stir just until blended; do not over mix. Add the bananas and stir to mix.

5.  Pour into the prepared pan. Bake for 40 to 50 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove the pan to a wire rack, and let the bread cool slightly. While it is still slightly warm, turn the bread out of the pan.

*Recipe Tips*

For best results, choose very ripe bananas, place them in a blender or food processor, and puree until smooth. Ground flaxseed is sold in natural food stores. Store any unused flaxseed in a tightly sealed container in the refrigerator or freezer.

*Recipe courtesy of www.prevention.com*

1 comment:

~~louise~~ said...

Cool recipe Jenna. I'm a HUGE fan of Prevention Magazine. I'm going to save this recipe link for a post I hope to do about bananas in April.

The walnuts would bring a healthy crunch:)

Thanks for sharing...