Thursday, February 26, 2009

~Skin Deep Cosmetic Safety Database~

I came across this website a few days ago on twitter.  Someone I follow linked it and I wish I remember who so I could acknowledge them in this post!  Anyways, I didn’t have time to look through the site so I bookmarked it and I am so glad I did.  Now that I have had a chance to browse the site I felt that a blog post about it would be perfect.

The website is called “Skin Deep Cosmetic Safety Database”.  Click HERE to view the site.  All you do is type in a product at the top of the screen in the search field and a list will populate.  Scroll through the list until you find the specific item.  On a scale of 1-10 you can see how “hazardous” the product is to your health. 

This website is an excellent tool and can really help guide you in purchasing products that are better for your health and body.  One item I found to be a high hazard (8 out of 10 rating) is the Skintimate Aroma Therapy Shave Gel Soothing Lavender.  Ingredients in this shave gel are linked to cancer!  Yikes, shave gel?  Really? 

Not only can you see the risk factor but also if the manufacturer conducts animal testing.  You can also see if the company is a Compact for Safe Cosmetics signer.   By becoming a signer the company takes a pledge to formulate products that do not use ingredients that are known or suspected to cause certain health harms within 3 years of signing.  The company who manufactures this shave gel is S.C. Johnson.  I was surprised to learn that they do test on animals and do not participate in the Compact for Safe Cosmetics. 

Bottom line, if you are concerned about a product check it out before placing it in your shopping cart.  You may discover things that you never knew. 

Know of any other great websites like this one?  Post a comment and share.  :-)

1 comment:

knittingdragonflies said...

Geesh...thanks for the info, I love that shaving gel, bummer.
Vicki