This past weekend I really wanted to make a casserole for dinner. With the weather getting colder it sounded perfect. I had all the ingredients for this casserole so I gave it a try. It must have been delicious because me and the hubby ate about half of the casserole!
I had to use penne pasta and instead of cheddar cheese I used a cheese blend. Prior to putting the casserole in the oven I sprinkled a layer of frozen peas on top then finished it off with a bread crumb and olive oil mixture. I baked it for 20 minutes at 350 and it came out amazing! We sprinkled some grated parmesan to make it a true pasta dish.
Prep Time: 20 minutes | Cook Time: 15 minutes | Ready In: 35 minutes
- 2/3 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive or canola oil
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups chopped carrots
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon dried savory
- 3 tablespoons butter or stick margarine
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 1/2 cups 2% milk
- 1 1/4 cups shredded reduced-fat Cheddar cheese
- 8 ounces wide egg noodles, cooked and drained
- In a large nonstick skillet, sauté onion and garlic in oil until tender. Add chicken; cook and stir until no longer pink. Add the broth, carrots, celery and savory. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan, melt butter. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in cheese until melted. Pour over chicken mixture. Add noodles; mix well.
- Transfer to a 3-qt. baking dish coated with nonstick cooking spray. Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees F for 15-20 minutes or until bubbly.
*Recipe courtesy of All Recipes*